Monday, July 21, 2008

Phew... done with Horse camps

I haven't updated in a while, and bad on me for that. BUT I have a semi-excuse, lol, and that is the fact that I had two 4H horse camps in a row, the first one being teen camp where we get trained, and the 2nd one being where I'm a counselor for the little-ins. That was interesting.. and these kids NEED PARELLI!!!!!!

One thing about camp... I had a camper that is a cutter. I saw her arm the first day and immediatly knew. I told meghan(friend and my other counselor for our group) later that day, and meghan told megan(in charge of counselors), who told monica(camp director) and she brought it to the the nurse. Monica had never heard of anything like that before, and to me that is SO hard to believe... its so common and people know nothing about it. It ended up that the nurse didn't think it was that because the way the girl had an explanation for it(blackberry bushes), but I know what I seen. Blackberry bushes do NOT make straight scratches only on the underside of your arm.. they just don't. and Cutters always have excuses pre-made up, I would know.

I had a good session with Belle tonight, she only reared ONCE and it wasn't that bad. Worked a little bit more on sideways over a barrel on her bad side, and didn't really get anywhere, but she sideways perfectly over it on the good side, so I'm a little stuck. I had her come to me over the barrel, and we played around with some more stick to me stuff, had some fun, and ended on a good note with me combing out her mane and tail and giving her a lot of attention.

Okie did good at drill on saturday up at Youth Camp. He was full of energy and not lame at all. I was worried because to me he seemed a little off at the last drill practice, even though no one else could see anything wrong, and he worked out of it anything that I felt. He has a pretty deep wire cut right above his hoof on the back of his pastern, which I think thats why he was sore, it was pulling on it. So I'm doctoring it twice a day with peroxide, shriners and vitamin E on the edges to keep it moist. Monica (vet..asked her to look at it up at horse camp) said that I should keep it moist, bandage it (which I haven't, it's staying pretty good) and use some cortizone stuff thats made for people to help keep it soft, she also said use vitamin E.

No comments: