Friday, June 6, 2008

Cow Sorting Fun

Last night grandma and I went cow sorting out at Silver Buckle Youth Equestrian Center, which is a really cool place where they have programs for at-risk kids. The sorting was a little unorthodox, with giving people 2 full minutes to sort, as opposed to 1:30 to sort. But, we had a lot of fun. First go we 0, then 5, then 9, then 10!

Okie- He was kind of a bugger last night, but overall did well. When we were riding before it started he was doing some super nice jog trots for me. Cantering was crap, him all counter bent and such, but I really can't expect too much, considering he's had a whole winter off and he's not a horse that does too well with time off. He was being kinda slow and dull during the sorting at first, so I grabbed an extra set of reins and used them to encourage him, where his dominant side come out and he kicked out when I tapped him with them. But he started to do better at the end. It's still weird to ride him after riding Steel for so long. Speaking of Steel, Larry was there and was riding him. I love that horse so much, I wish he could be mine.. but since he can't, I'm still on the search for a new horse.

Rhythm- I was really proud of my g-ma and her horse rhythm. He's always spooky in arenas, mostly at the corners where theres stuff. But she took the time to introduce him to it, and let him get used it, using patience and approach and retreat, and the confidence that Okie offered. Rhythm did really good and G-ma had a lot of fun. She's been playing with him more consistently and I've been giving her more helpful tips on rhythm, and she's starting to understand his horseanality more than she used to. I played with him on the 22 the other day, and, lol, the horse does have energy hidden under his LBI tendencies.

No comments: